The advising experience is a critical part of the instructional mission of the University of Georgia. Orientation advising appointments provide a crucial opportunity for student learning and for the development of the student/advisor relationship. Because our advisors need to focus exclusively on their students, the Office of Student Academic Services does not allow parents or other guests to attend Orientation advising appointments.
How do I register for an Orientation session?
Students can register for an Orientation session here. Orientation is mandatory, and each session has a limited number of spaces.
Why can I not be advised before Orientation?
During times when Orientation is not occurring, all advisors are working with our thousands of currently enrolled students and are therefore unable to accommodate entering students. In addition, the records of entering students are not fully complete and uploaded into our student advising system until Orientation, so advisors will not have access to this information. While we understand that students are very excited about attending the University of Georgia, we cannot advise you until Orientation. All questions regarding your major, degree requirements, placement test results, and credit from testing will be thoroughly answered at Orientation.
Who will my advisor be at Orientation?
You will be assigned to an advisor based on your declared major. Your advisor is a specialist in your area of study. To meet with the correct advisor, make sure your major is correct. You can view the accuracy of your major in Athena under "Student information" and make any necessary adjustments prior to attending Orientation.
When will I find out what time my advising appointment is?
If you have declared a Franklin College major you will receive an e-mail sent to your UGA e-mail address listing your advisor, appointment time, and appointment location. If you have declared an Unspecified major, the Exploratory Center will email you regarding an advising appointment.
- For one-day Orientation sessions: You will receive the e-mail the morning of your session.
- For two-day Orientation sessions: You will receive the e-mail on the morning of day two.
- Please read your appointment email thoroughly. If your major has changed, please reply to the e-mail as soon as possible to ensure you are advised for the correct major.
- Contact EITS at 706-542-3106 if you are unable to access your UGA e-mail account prior to Orientation.
Which academic area meeting should I attend at Orientation?
- If you have two majors and need to decide between attending different area meetings, please read the information at the bottom of this webpage.
- If you are unsure about your major, go to the area meeting for the major which interests you the most.
- If you have declared AB Unspecified or BS Unspecified as your major, please attend the Exploratory Center's area meeting.
How do I change my major at Orientation?
- Having the correct major in Athena ensures you will be advised for that major.
- Prior to Orientation: You are able to change your major on Athena (see changing-your-major-minor-or-area-emphasis for more information).
- At Orientation:
- For one-day Orientation sessions: To change to a different Franklin College major during one-day Orientation sessions: Come to the Franklin College sign outside Miller Learning Center room 101 between 10am and noon. To change to another college's major, please contact that college http://uga.edu/a-z/schools/.
- For two-day Orientation sessions: To change to a different Franklin College major during two-day Orientation sessions: You may change your major on Athena until midnight of day one. If you have difficulty changing your major, please contact Kellee Green prior to 7am on day two. When you receive your appointment email on day two, please verify your major is correct.
I will be flying in to attend Orientation. What time is recommended for me to schedule my return flight home?
If you plan to leave on the day of Orientation, we recommend scheduling your return flight departure no earlier than 8pm. Orientation lasts until 5 pm. No student should plan to leave Athens prior to 5 pm. Travel time from Athens to Hartsfield International Airport is approximately two hours, and most flights recommend checking in two hours ahead of departure. Scheduling a return flight too early can cause conflict with your Orientation advising appointment. If you leave Orientation without having been advised, you will not be cleared to register for classes in Athena. This will delay your ability to build your class schedule.
Do you have a unique situation that needs to be addressed before Orientation?
- Please contact Kellee Green.
- Requests for early afternoon advising appointments will be fulfilled whenever possible.
updated 11.2.2017 email@example.com