Skip to main content
Skip to main menu Skip to spotlight region Skip to secondary region Skip to UGA region Skip to Tertiary region Skip to Quaternary region Skip to unit footer


Transient Students

Information About "Going Transient"

What does it mean to be a "Transient Student?"

If you are planning to attend another college or university to take a course or courses for transfer to UGA, you will be considered a transient student.

How do I "Go Transient?"

Obtain an application from the other institution and apply as a transient student. Submit a transient letter, which may be obtained in the UGA Registrar's Office in the Hunter Holmes Academic Building or through the Athena system. You must be in good academic standing at UGA to obtain a transient letter. From the "Student" menu, select the "Transcript & Enrollment Verification" drop down menu and click on "Request Enrollment Verification." Choose the current term, and "Transient Letter" for "Verification Type." Choose how you want the letter delivered, fill in the address or fax number, and click "Submit."

When you have completed your coursework, you must request that a transcript be sent from the other institution to the UGA Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The transcript can be sent electronically to the University of Georgia Office of Undergraduate Admissions Electronic transcript Server, or via mail to University of Georgia Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Terrell Hall Rm 212, 210 S Jackson St., Athens, GA 30602. (If an electronic request form will not process a request without a specific email address, may be used.)

What should I know about attending an in-state college?

Many classes from in-state colleges will transfer back to UGA; however, the final authority for how a course will transfer comes from the department teaching that course. (For example, the UGA Mathematics Department is the ultimate authority on how courses with a MATH prefix transfer.) The UGA Admissions Office has developed a "Transfer Equivalency Search System" for all Georgia colleges (and many out-of-state colleges), but it should be used only as a guide. Equivalencies listed on that site may change without notice.

What should I know about attending an out-of-state college?

Out-of-state colleges also have courses listed in the "Transfer Equivalency Search System" . As with in-state courses, final authority comes from the department, and equivalencies may change without notice. It is best to be in touch with the department regarding courses you may want to transfer back to UGA.

Will an academic advisor/graduation specialist be able to assist me?

Whether you plan to attend a college in-state or out-of-state, your academic advisor/graduation specialist will only be able to assist you in selecting UGA courses appropriate for your degree and major. The academic advisor/graduation specialist cannot advise you in the transferability of courses from other institutions.
If you plan to take a course in your major area of study at another institution, you should check with your major department. Some departments will not allow transfer courses to be used in the major.
An academic advisor/graduation specialist cannot be responsible for determining equivalency of courses.

Will my H.O.P.E. scholarship cover my summer classes?

UGA HOPE students who wish to enroll as a transient student at another HOPE eligible institution may receive HOPE funds at the transient institution. You can access the UGA HOPE Transient Form at Financial Aid and follow the instructions.

If you plan to take a course not listed on the Equivalency Search: 

It is prudent to contact the UGA department that teaches the equivalent course to request a transfer course evaluation BEFORE you register for the course. You will need to provide the department with the following information:

  1. Course description
  2. Syllabus of the course
  3. Title of textbook, author, publisher, copyright date

Who should I email with additional questions?

Your first point of contact should always be your assigned advisor in SAGE. However, for anything related to registration at the transient institution, looking into whether the institution has received your transient letter or other materials, or the transient institution's grading and policies, you need to ask the transient institution. Your UGA advisor can suggest classes to take and explain the general transient process, but they have no training or expertise regarding the policies or procedures at other institutions.

Support us

We appreciate your financial support. Your gift is important to us and helps support critical opportunities for students and faculty alike, including lectures, travel support, and any number of educational events that augment the classroom experience. Click here to learn more about giving.

Every dollar given has a direct impact upon our students and faculty.