Frequently asked questions:
1. What is a Statement of Purpose?
In your essay, please respond to the following prompt: Describe your current course of study and explain in what way a Franklin College scholarship would help you realize your educational goals at the University of Georgia?
2. What is the standard format for the Statement of Purpose?
Choosing a font that is highly readable, use no more than a 12-point font, and no less than a 10-point font, single spaced, and margins of at least one inch.
3. Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be submitted directly by the recommenders. The online application will ask you for name and email address for your recommenders. Our system will automatically email them and provide them a way to upload the letters. You do not need to get letters from them directly. We will not accept letters unless they come direct from the recommender.
Is there a template?
No. The letters of recommendation should attest to the applicant’s personal attributes and academic qualifications.
To whom should the letter of recommendation be addressed?
To Whom It May Concern
Who is to write letters for incoming freshman and/or transfer students?
These letters should be written by the instructors of two classes you have taken during the 2021-2022 academic year.
Who is considered an instructor?
An instructor is someone who is in the role of teaching at a university (not a graduate assistant).
What is the total number of recommendation letters if applying for more than one scholarship?
The same two recommendation letters will be uesed for all scholarships.
4. Which scholarship(s) will I be considered for?
A completed application will receive full consideration for all the scholarships listed on our website located at: (https://osas.franklin.uga.edu/undergraduate-student-scholarships-and-awards). The committee will decide on what scholarship(s) you are qualified for based on your application materials.
Application materials should include the following:
- Online Application Form
- One-page Statement of Purpose (uploaded through online application)
- Both letters must come from faculty members of two classes you have taken in the Franklin College, unless you are an incoming first year student or a transfer student. Incoming firs year students and transfer studends need letters from instructors they have had during the 2021-2022 acemdic year. We will send an automated email to them requesting a recommendation.
- Completed FASFA filed (https://studentaid.gov/)
5. In what semester/year are the scholarship(s) awarded?
Scholarship(s) will be awarded for the upcoming Fall and next Spring year.
6. When will we be notified of the decision on acceptance/declines of my application?
We strive to notify all applicants before the tuition payment deadline set by the Office of Financial Aid for the fall semester of the year in which you are applying. Letters will be sent via email.
7. How will my award be distributed?
The total award amount will be distributed into two payments, one for the fall semester and the other for the spring semester. The award will be credited to your UGA account and is contingent upon your pursing a degree in the Franklin College and enrolling at least twelve hours in that given semester. These scholarships may be used to offset loans or other expenses. Please check with the Office of Student Financial Aid should you have any questions.
8. How are scholarship application materials received?
Online: Online Application